Stopping Hair Loss
A Very Warm Welcome!
I know why you are here, I wont waste any of your time.. Here’s how to use this website.. It is 100% free.. I am not selling any information or products. I am giving away knowledge and “connections” that I’ve made that will improve your health and hair.
Make the page you are reading now “Stopping Hair Loss” your main hub and navigational tool. From here you can get to the other major pages and articles.
====== Intro ======
This website is a personal project put online, it is a work in progress. It exists in order to “get info out” as fast as possible, not exactly to look pretty. I organize things so they are easy to find and, as simple as possible.
Please excuse the dust as this website slowly matures over future months and years. I hope you find the information here educational and usable. If you have things to share please do contact me.
I may have lost some hair while working this website as I stayed up a number of nights doing research and putting things together for the site, rather than resting, I am after all only human and have my own stress-reduction needs that sometimes clash with my ambitions and busy schedule.
Be wary of anyone (including physicians) offering to help you for a “fee” especially online websites selling information. You can do your own research for free, you can also elect to pay someone for their knowledge. Ultimately, you will be the one to put the pieces of the puzzle together, and the one to heal yourself.
Note: This website is always growing and getting better, visit periodically for updates, and please contact me with your thoughts.
=== Let’s Get Started!! ===
I am not interested in discussing pharmaceutical drugs such as minoxidil (Rogaine), or finasteride (propecia), etc. I do not believe a pharmaceutical drug that will “heal” or “cure” hair loss will be found in my life-time, if ever. If a drug is found it will likely have side-effects that I’d rather avoid. Let’s put it this way, I will be happier being completely bald than to have hair but be taking pharmaceuticals. This is based on principle, and also based on my findings that one does “not” need a pharmaceutical to be optimally healthy and have luscious hair. You, driven to stop and reverse your hair loss will learn a lot, discover facts and myths, enjoy food more, enjoy life more and enjoy a clarity of mind, better health, graceful aging (and a more healthy mindset by default).
Three important points:
=== The Holistic Reality ===
This website’s goals is to present a holistic and natural approach to stopping hair loss and increasing hair growth. In this quest you will read about nutrition, the correct dietary choices for you, normalizing metabolic dysfunction, exercise, an internal regimen of supplements, hands-on methods, the good and bad oils, fats, protein, iodine, vitamins, minerals, diets, teas, herbs, roots, topical treatments, mental attitudes, life style, Chinese Medicine theories, hypnosis, and many other approaches to hair health … and then some more on nutrition.
You will soon notice this website does not only talk about “hair” per se. This is not a shampoo site, nor is it a website trying to sell you a pharmaceutical. In modern allopathic medicine, doctors treat one diagnosis with one drug; unfortunately this is not how the human body works. There is no one fix for hair loss, certainly not one glove that fits all. This website is not a one-fix-all site either, as there’s no one solution to hair loss (generally speaking).
This website is about more than “hair” it is about achieving optimal health. Achieving optimal health also will stop, and perhaps restore your hair. Please read this on Optimal Health.
This website is my own research project, as I try to keep whatever hair I have left and perhaps even regrow some? time will tell.
=== Hair Loss is Not Just a Cosmetic Issue ===
It has been strongly linked to three major diseases: cardiovascular disease, cancers and diabetes (by peer reviewed studies). It is also linked to many chronic dis-eases such as metabolic syndrome, immune, hormonal and digestive issues. Hair loss is a sign that your body is out of balance, a sign that you lack optimal health, in fact you might want to think of patterned hair loss (of all kinds) as an early warning sign of future pathology and (premature) aging.
As this website follows a holistic, correct, nutritional orthomolecular approach, we will be discussing finding the “root of the dysfunction”. Rather than treating inflammation with cortisol we will look t see what is causing the inflammation to stop it the correct way. Rather than labeling a person as having hypothyroid we will investigate what might have caused this decrease in thyroid function. We will discuss fixing issues such diabetes type 2, PCOS, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, acne, candida, digestive problems, and preventing all the diseases that are linked to hair loss such as cancers, cardiovascular disease, diabetes type II, metabolic syndrome, immune system dysfunction, and hormonal imbalances.
A holistic approach works to educate rather than palliate. This is thus the mission of this website, to educate you, and me the author. I am always learning, and as I do I will share it here. The more you know the more you know how little you knew and how much more there’s to know. Knowing more is good, since knowledge is power, and will save you great many dollar.
=== But, it’s my genetics, everyone knows that hair loss is genetic, right? ===
Read this carefully:
Genetics do not explain why men are experiencing AGA at younger and younger ages, unless you are willing to argue that natural selection is favoring the balding gene and working very rapidly, that in the last 50 years men have evolved to be bald at earlier ages; if you want to argue for this genetic selection be my guest, but I urge to show me proof. Otherwise, do not blame genes.
Even if you have inherited the baldness gene (actually it’s not one gene but many, and probably many we have not discovered yet, along with how they interact with each other and the environment) as the case is with me, despite this predisposition to baldness, and your dermal papilla’s sensitivity to environmental and metabolic factors, you are not destined to go bald if you stay “optimally healthy”. If you are destined to baldness then at the least you wont go bald at 25 or 30 but perhaps at 45, 55, 75 or 85 as you age. I am one of many men that started balding at around 25 yrs of age; I know men that are 18, 19, and 21 that have extensive AGA balding and their numbers are increasing.
The problem with genetic theories is that they reinforce the notion that balding people are destined or doomed to inevitable hair loss. This offers people an escape goat, rather than investigate deeper, question the present DHT theory, one can simply give up trying and simply accept this “fat”. I did that for years, until I found the causes behind the loss, this was eye opening, empowering and healing. Had I accepted the genetic inevitability I might not have made the diet and life changes that enhanced my life and health, which to me are more valuable that hair. My hair loss alerted me to the many health issues I had to face.
Thanks for your patronage. Article continues below:
=== Investigation ===
Your hair loss may be a challenge, but it is one worth taking-on, stopping your hair loss is like detective work, you need to run some tests, investigate your body, habits, food and environment in order to find the answer that will work in your case, as every person’s body is different. You will have to try a few things, you will have to learn to listen to your body, and most likely you will have to change your diet habits.
=== Where’s the proof, where did you come up with this info? ===
I’ll attempt to share as much as I can in the articles listed below, the science, the studies, the resources and reasoning behind what I said above. I am only human, I also have to work full time to make a living, and yet find time to eat healthy so I can stop my own hair loss. I work hard to eat well, and to do certain things to help my hair but like I said I am human, I slack sometimes, I eat bad things at times, I deprive myself of sleep and exercise at times. I am not perfect, and I do not ask you to look up to me, but what I ask is that you look up to the information here, see the connections and ideas I present. Trying these, making changes, is up to you.
=== Ready to Learn More? ===
Below you will see your guide to this website, organized by topics. Consider it your Table of Contents. Many pages on this site are updated often. This could be my obsession, I put a lot of my time into research and adding my findings up here. Even though I wish I could dedicate more time for this website right now I can’t. After all, I cannot put all my free time here because I need to use that time to exercises, research, work, socialize, take care of my health etc or I might just risk accelerating my hair loss again.
I am doing the work so you can save time, this website aims at giving you clearer view on hair loss than most physicians do nowadays. I also use this website as my personal notebook, where I collect research and make connections and list information so I can find these when I need to.
====== Guide to this website ======
Male pattern hair loss, also known as male pattern baldness (MPB), androgenic alopecia or androgenetic alopecia (AGA), is the most common occurrence of hair loss in humans. I don’t need to discuss the psychological effects of hair loss, I’m sure you are familiar with them or know someone who is. Women also get patterned hair loss, it’s called female pattern hair loss and I have heard of instances when doctors told their female patients they had male pattern hair loss (MPB).
.Your hair loss could be your “canary in a coal mine”, giving you early signs of impending danger
…Hair loss is a sign of aging
Let’s Learn some more:
A – General Topics on Female / Male Pattern Hair Loss:
- What is Hair?
- Hair Life-cycle Stages
- Hair Follicle Scalp Images
- Types of Hair
- Is Self Diagnosis of MPB Possible?
- Men’s Hamilton Norwood & Other Hair Loss Classification Scales
- Women’s Ludwig & Other Hair Loss Classification Scales
- Who Gets Male Pattern Baldness & How Common is it?
- Do Women Get Patterned Hair Loss?
- How is Patterned Baldness Tested for?
- Should the Term “Androgenic Alopecia” Be Used? (Research History)
- Is Patterned Hair Loss Genetic?
- Polygenetic and Poly-etc..
- Types of Hair Loss and Overlap in their Causes
- The Causes of Hair Loss (Female Pattern Hair Loss and MPB)
- Optimal Health.
- Why Me, but Not Taylor Smith?
- Hair Loss a Curse or a Blessing?
- But, What if I Fail to stop the hair loss?
- The Human Unit
B – About my diet, my regimen, and why
Everything on this website is my opinion, I research many doctors, studies, testimonials and compare and contrast and then make up my own opinion. Even when not explicitly stated, everything mentioned on this website in terms of diet, exercise or supplementation is my opinion and reflects my thought process, the other articles represent my reasoning for the kind of regimen and diet I follow.
C- Metabolic, Hormonal, Genetic and Mental Factors Linked to Hair Loss:
- Hormonal Factors
- Dermal Papilla Androgen Sensitivity, Androgen Receptors & Methylation
- Free Testosterone
- The Genetic Link | DNA Testing vs. Diet and Exercise
- The Patterned Baldness Multifactorial Model: Hormonal-Immune Interactions
- The Patterned Baldness Non Androgen-Dependent Model
- The Patterned Baldness Estrogen Metabolism Model
- Thyroid: Hypothyroid (low thyroid), Iodine deficiency Intro to Hypothyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
- Chronic stress
- Adrenal fatigue (low adrenal function)
- Prostate Health and Hair Loss
- Growth Hormones:
- Insulin-like Growth Hormone IGF, IGF-1, IGF-2, IGFBP
- Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), Dioxins and Related Compounds: POPs, Dioxins, Furans and Related Compounds – Intro
- Chronic systemic or localized Inflammation:
- DHT and Oxygen: Getting enough blood to the dermis, hair follicles and papilla
- Liver disease, liver function, fatty liver | Liver Health Supplements
- Poor blood circulation
- Gastrointestinal (GI) Health
- Positively charged elements
- Cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Free radicals
- Oxidative stress
- Hypomethylation | Methylation and Hair Loss
- Heavy metal toxicity: Why Detox Heavy Metals? | Heavy Metal Detox Supplements
- Detoxification Articles
- Emotions and hair loss | Healthy emotions for healthy body and hair
- Artificial chemicals that build up in the fat stores and organs of the body
- Celiac disease and gluten intolerance
- Sugar / Calories / Insulin Resistance / Glucose / Insulin levels:
- Pathogens and Hair Loss
- H. Pyloric
- Gut parasites
- Mold / fungus: On the scalp or as internal fungal Infections (such as tinea capitis)
C – Dietary Factors:
- Diet is Crucial (i.e. what to eat and what not to eat)
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Nutritionally dense food
- Fake food
- Digestion and Nutrient absorption | Stomach Acidity, Betaine HCl, Enzymes
- GI tract issues
- Metabolic Typing
- Food sensitivities and intolerance
- On Hair Supplements
- On Multi-Vitamin Supplements
- Useful Supplements
- Where to Buy Supplements from
- Using a Supplement Weekly Container
- Good Eating and Supplementing Habits
- Food Irradiation Research
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin Butter Oil and Coconut Ghee
- Krill Oil
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Amanita Muscaria
- Is Salt Good of Bad?
- Salt Loading
- Trace elements content and hormonal profiles in women with androgenetic alopecia
- Calcium: All About | Supplementing Details
- Copper: All About | Supplementing Details
- Iodine: About Iodine | Iodine Supplements
- Iron: All About | Supplementing Details
- Magnesium: About Magnesium | Magnesium Supplements
- Manganese: All About | Supplementing Details
- Potassium: All About | Supplementing Details
- Protein: All About | Supplementing Details
- Selenium: About Selenium | Selenium Supplements
- Sodium: All About | Supplementing Details
- Lithium : About Lithium
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): About Vitamin C | Vitamin C Supplements
- Vitamin D3: About Vitamin D | Vitamin D3 Supplements
- Vitamin A (Retinol): About Vitamin A | Vitamin A Supplements
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): All About | Supplementing Details
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): All About | Supplementing Details
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin, Niacinamide, nicotinic acid, vitamin PP): All About | Vitamin B3 Supplements
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): About Vitamin B5 | Supplementing Details
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): All About | Supplementing Details
- Vitamin B7 (Vitamin H, Biotin): About Biotin | Supplementing details | More info and resources
- Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid, Folate): About Folic Acid | Supplementing Details | Folic Acid & Folate Absorption
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalt): All About | Supplementing Details
- Vitamin E: All About | Supplementing Details
- Vitamin K2 (MK4, MK7): All About | Vitamin K2 Supplements
- Zinc: About Zinc | Supplementing Details
- Taurine: All About | Taurine Supplements
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid: All About | Supplementing Details
- Omega-6 Fatty Acid: All About | Supplementing Details
- R-Lipoid Acid: All About | R-Lipoid Acid Supplements
- Alpha-linolenic acid: All About | Supplementing Details
- Linoleic acid: All About | Supplementing Details
- GLA (Gamma linolenic acid): All About | Supplementing Details
- Acetyl L-Carnitine: All About | Acetyl L-Carnitine Supplements
- N-Acetyl Cysteine: N-Acetyl Cysteine Supplements
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid): All About | Supplementing Details
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid): All About | Supplementing Details
- Curcumin: All About | Curcumin Supplements | Curcumin + Resveratrol
- Resveratrol: All About | Resveratrol Supplements | Curcumin + Resveratrol
- Echinacea: All About | Supplementing Details
- Ginkgo: All About | Supplementing Details
- Fo Ti: All About | Supplementing Details
- Ginseng: All About | Ginseng Supplements
- Ecklonia Cava: All About | Ecklonia Cava Supplements
- Green Tea Phytosome: All About | Supplementing Details
- Green Tea / White Tea / EGCG: Green / White Tea Extracts Supplements
- Sulforaphane: All About | Sulforaphane Supplements
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): All About | Supplementing Details
- Milk & Dairy: What milk to consume |
- Krill Oil (Whole / Super Food): About Krill Oil | Krill Oil Supplements
- Royal Jelly (Whole / Super Food): About Royal Jelly | Irene Royal Jelly Formulation | Royal Jelly Supplements
- Brewers Yeast (Whole / Super Food): All About | Brewers Yeast Supplements
- Spirulina (Whole / Super Food): About Spirulina | Supplementing Details
- Bee Pollen (Whole / Super Food): All About | Supplementing Details
- Dessicated Liver (Whole / Super Food): All About | Dessicated Liver Supplements
- Chlorella (Whole / Super Food): All About | Chlorella Supplements
- Tocotrienols: All About | Tocotrienols Supplements
- Broccoli / Broccoli seeds: Broccoli Supplements
- Cilantro | Cilantro Supplements
- Betaine HCL + Pepsin: All About | Betaine HCl Supplements
D – Making Teas with Plants and Herbs:
- Teas & Herbs to Brew & Drink (i.e. teas recipes)
- How to Brew the Best Cup of Tea
- Why drink tea? Anti-Inflammatory, anti oxidants, detoxing, relaxing
E – Scalp Issues, Topical and Hands-On Approaches:
- White blobs on the roots of fallen hairs
- Scalp parasites: About Colloidal Silver | Colloidal Silver Supplements
- Scalp infections
- Scalp inflammation
- Painful hair
- Scalp, with fingers
- Scalp, with a bristle brush
- Neck massage
- Facial massage
- Hagerty facial and scalp exercises
- Maliniak technique
- Puncture, acupuncture, needling
- Hair pulling
- Exfoliating the scalp
- To apply topically:
- Essential Oils, Plant Oils, Animal Oils and Herbal Teas to Apply Topically (extensive list)
- Ginger juice
- Colloidal Silver Supplements
- Raw eggs
- DMSO | Find DMSO | Emu Oil vs. DMSO
- DMSO + Lithium powder: DMSO + Lithium Patent | About Lithium | Find DMSO
- shampoo recipes
- Recipes for topicals
- Edgar Cayce’s Hair Loss Remedies – Pt. 1 – Crude Oil etc. | Edgar Cayce’s Hair Loss Remedies – Pt. 2
F – TCM:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurvedic Medicine for Hair Loss and Hair Health
- Tai Chi Practice
- QiGong Practice
- Acupuncture: The Plum Blossom Hammer for Hair Loss Treatment
- Goto Kola
- TCM, Sexual Activity and Hair Loss
- How to Brew the Best Cup of Tea
- Teas & Herbs to Brew & Drink (i.e. tea recipes)
G – Dental Health:
- Using plants to clean teeth
- Weston Price – That a Clean Tooth Does Not Decay and that Mouth Cleanliness Affords the Best Known Protection Against Dental Caries
H – Other
- Earthing / Grounding & Back to Basics – Consider the following:
- Walking barefoot to electrically ground and exercise foot muscles
- Enjoy moderate sun exposure for vitamin D (do not expose beyond skin turning pink)
- Sunning the face (for relaxation, improved vision and vitamin D)
- Sit on earth with a straight back, reduce the use of lazy posture sitting (on couches)
- Grounding or Earthing and Holistic Health
- Earthing/Grounding Documents
- Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
- Cold / Room temperature Showers
- Get enough sun
- Skip breakfast
- Low level laser therapy (LLLT) / Light
- Stopping hair loss vs. reversing loss (re-growth)
- Not recommended, but might work:
- Good eating and supplementing habits – Increase nutrient absorption and benefit
- On Personal Responsibility
- Medical Research:
- Good external links
- Some encouragement
- Just for fun
Created: 8/1/2010 – Last Updated: 12/14/2011
Thanks for your patronage.